Total Pageviews

Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Sands Point Preserve: What a view!

After checking out the castle, you turn and see a huge, open grassy meadow area.  As you walk through the meadow, you will see a smaller, castle like building on the left.  And then, you are at the end of a cliff.  The view is breathtaking!  There were actually rows of white chairs set up facing the coast.  It looks like they must have wedding ceremonies there.  If you look off to the left, you can see Westchester, to the far right is Glen Cove, and off in the distance straight ahead is Connecticut.  Here are some shots of this area:

Grassy meadow
Downy woodpecker


View from the cliff


Sailboat in the distance


Fountain with a view

Fishing from the rocks
As you can see, I finally looked up the name of the bird to go with the picture.  I knew that I had never seen that bird before, so I tried relentlessly to get a shot of it.  Not the best shot, but enough to pick him out of a lineup.  It took me 10 minutes of following him around before he finally flew off.

If you look in the picture above the one with the sailboat, you can pick out a tiny speck that is that same sailboat before I unleashed my zoom lens on it (full optical and digital)!

There are even some benches at the perimeter of the cliff so that you can just sit and take in the scenery.

I still have pix from the shoreline and the trails.  What will tomorrow bring?  Come back and find out!

No comments:

Post a Comment