Total Pageviews

Sunday, August 12, 2012

Muttontown Preserve

Catbird that I spotted in a tree

Last weekend, my friend Cindy and I went for a guided walk entitled "The Birds of Summer" at Muttontown Preserve.  When I called to make our reservations, I was greeted by an answering machine.  I thought that was kind of strange.  I guess that I just assumed that the site would have more of a workforce.  As it turned out, our guide was the sole employee for the preserve.  He does practically all of the maintenance and land clearing on the preserve by hand; a daunting task!  

The Muttontown Preserve is nestled between private estates.  As you drive toward its entrance, you can see the long gated driveways leading to the private mansions.  Even though the preserve is not all that far from home, you truly feel like you have entered into another world.

Once we started on the trails, I was glad that we had a guide.  Even though the trails were marked with posts, it all looked the same to me.  Kind of like the Wolfenstein Game if you remember that!

Although I was glad to have a guide, it did kind of limit my ability to take as much time as I might have otherwise to compose my shots.  I did not feel like I had the usual quality to my pix either because I was probably rushing with my settings.  We only saw a few different types of birds, but we had a great time and met some really nice folks.

View from the preserve

View from the trail

Butterfly on a thistle
I think the background on the butterfly picture may be Bokeh.  
I need to research further and will get back to this topic.  
All photos were taken with the Canon SX 40HS.


Click below for more information on the Muttontown Preserve:

No comments:

Post a Comment