Total Pageviews

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

My First HDR Photograph

I have been eager to try HDR since I first heard about it.  Courtesy of Wikipedia, "High dynamic range imaging (HDRI or HDR) is a set of methods used in imaging and photography, to allow a greater dynamic range between the lightest and darkest areas of an image than current standard digital imaging methods or photographic methods. HDR images can represent more accurately the range of intensity levels found in real scenes, from direct sunlight to faint starlight, and is often captured by way of a plurality of differently exposed pictures of the same subject matter."

So, how does one achieve HDR?  Well, there are various ways to 'cheat'.  For example, you could take a photo and then simply create an over exposed and under exposed version of the same photo via software and blend all of the exposures together.  Or you could use various scripts that basically do the same thing in various photo editing software.  If you want to do the real thing In camera, you would take what are called bracketed exposures.  This basically means taking various shots (usually 3 or more) of the same subject with different exposure settings of your choice.  The Canon SX40 HS allows for bracketed images which then need to be combined via software.  In my first example, I did not use a tripod.  However, a tripod is highly recommended to reduce ghosting when your images are blended together.  


My First HDR Photo
 Below you can see the 3 images that made up my HDR photo.






As you can see, one of the images is of normal exposure, one is over exposed, and one is under exposed.  Blend them all and you have a HDR photograph.

There are many beautiful examples of HDR photography on the internet.  Google 'HDR Photography' and check them out.  I know that HDR photography is something that I will be doing much more of.  I just love that vibrant, almost 'fantasy like' look in a real photo.

No comments:

Post a Comment